Monday 28 June 2010

Girls Lie Too Boys.

Girls Lie Too Boys.

The familiar 'pop' noise from my laptop balanced on my bed not only distracts me from my furious eyebrow plucking, almost taking out my eye, but alerts me that someone is talking to me on Facebook chat. The new way for Men and Women to flirt. Quickly asking me what I'm up to I reply that I've just gotten out of the shower - a total lie! Note to all the guys reading this: When a girl puts that she's just had a shower or is snuggled in bed because she's cold *wink wink*... most of time she's in her comfy-but-crap pyjamas with no make up on, watching Gossip Girl and demolishing a bar of Galaxy Cookie Crumble. Fact. But she'd never tell you that, instead opting for a suggestive comment an a winking emoticon. Just as we saw Sienna Miller sweet-talk Daniel Craig in 'Layer Cake' over the phone, whilst having her wet hair bundled up in a towel on top of her head and clipping her toenails. We'll tell you anything if it gets you thinking about us naked.

After all, we are a nation addicted to flirting. We can't help it. All of the boyfriends that swear to their angry girlfriends that they don't flirt are lying and those girlfriends are playing dumb, any girl with half a brain knows that her boy flirts and that they were doing the same that morning with the office bagel guy.

In a reality were almost 50% of modern marriages end in divorce we're obsessed with monogamy and staying faithful. When recently asking one of my guy friends why he didn't have my number anymore he replied, "Because Stacey doesn't like it." After further questioning he confessed he isn't allowed other girls numbers in his phone so he changes the names to Men's names to avoid argument. I stared at him with my mouth open for several seconds before excusing myself to go to the bar for a rather large Gin top up.

Now, having never met Stacey I'm not going to pass judgement but when asked why he stays with her when he's forced to lie like that he replys, "Because she cares about me. And thats nice." Not, "Because I love her," or "Because she makes me happy." Just, "Because she cares." Swiftly pointing out that I care and everyone else around the table at the pub cares he looks down thoughtfully into his pint and the subject changes to the night before's episode of 'Topgear'.

It's at this moment in time that I feel I should stick up for my fellow women and point out that sometimes we do have a right to cry, scream and generally eat an entire tub of 'Ben n Jerrys', like, for instance after a tearful phone call from my friend Kylie, who has been hopelessly in love with her ex-boyfriend for far too long, to inform me that he's told her he no longer loves her...right after he slept with her, so to be fair boys, sometimes you are horrid to us.

Girlfriends have long been stereotyped as the ones who moan that their boyfriends don't spend enough time with them and don't like it when you go to the pub with the boys instead of watching a dvd with them on a Saturday night. But when my ex-boyfriend informed me that I wasn't spending enough time with him and gave me the silent treatment every time I planned a night out friends I was stunned by the role reversal. He was moody, distant and when I got home would make it clear he wasn't happy, even though we didn't live together. Not to mention the arguments caused by me having guy friends.

Which brings me full circle back to our nations addictive flirting, it's happening everywhere all the time, all around the country. In fact, it's so blatant it's practically classed as 'being polite'. So girls the next time your having a row about the pretty brunette at the station who's bags your boyfriend helped her carry, take a second to remember the guy with the gorgeous smile who helped you unblock the paper jam in the printer at work that morning...maybe then you can save yourself an argument and...have sex with the man you love instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment